Monday, February 4, 2008

Capt-n-Crunch Chicken w/ Creole Mustard Sauce



I just love this recipe.....it is definitely one of my favorite not so great for you snacks...basically because it is fried. I suppose you could bake it but its so quick to fry up. Anyway if anyone has eaten or use to eat at Planet Hollywood (most seemed to be closed these days) this recipe is very similar to their Captain Crunch appetizer.....I first made this for the Twins 2nd birthday and it has been a hit every since.....both girls love it....one of our family favorites for Snack Saturday's......


9/22/08: Ok, so I am updating this, I just took chicken tenders, breaded them and cooked them in the oven @ 425 degrees for 12-13 min, or until done. They turned out great, the only change from the recipe below is I added a little bit of salt to the flour breading. I will tell you they are not as crispy but still really good. I will probably use this way in the future as we are trying to cut down on the frying.....Plus the girls really like the strips...I think Kiara ate 3-4 tenders....I have included a pic of the baked ones...


Serves: 6

4 C Captain Crunch Cereal
3 C Corn Flakes
1 Egg
1 C Milk
1 C Flour
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Pepper (Lil Salt if baking in oven)
6 Chicken Breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces
Vegetable Oil, for frying

Coarsely grind or crush the two cereals together and set aside. Beat the egg with milk and set aside. Stir together flour, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Dip cut up chicken pieces into the seasoned flour. Coat well and the shake off excess flour. Dip into egg mixture, coating well and then dip into the cereal mixture coating well. Heat oil in a large heavy pan (or deep fryer) to 325 degrees. Drop coated chicken pieces into the oil and cook until golden brown and fully cooked, 3-5 min depending on size. Drain on paper towels (I season with a little salt) and serve with Creole Mustard Sauce.


Creole Mustard Sauce :

1 C Mayonnaise
1/4 C Natural Stone Ground Mustard (Whole Mustard)
1 T Yellow Mustard or Spicy Brown Mustard
1 T Horseradish
1/2 tsp Cider Vinegar
1 Dash Worcestershire
1 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 tsp Water
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (can use less if you want)
1/2 tsp Salt
1 T Green Onions, thinly sliced
1 T Crushed Garlic Packed in oil (or you can mince fresh with a dab of oil and salt)
1 tsp Green Bell Pepper, finely chopped
1 tsp Celery, finely chopped
1 tsp Onion, finely chopped

Mix all ingredients together thoroughly. I like to chill mustard sauce about 2 hours before serving.

No comments: