Sunday, April 20, 2008

Nana's Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies



So growing up I use to love to spend the Christmas Holiday with my Mother's Family and one of the things I really loved about it besides being with all gazillion of my Cousins, Aunts and Uncles were my Aunt Ruth's Sugar Cookies. She would make every holiday cut out shape that you could think of....and she was an amazing cookie decorator.....anyway I thought I would never find a cookie recipe as good as hers but Shawn's Mom's recipe is equally good and maybe even better......and I just love them.....These are fun to make with kiddos.....my girls love cutting them out and sprinkling on the sugar.....and who knows maybe one day I take it to the next level with my decorating....for now some colored icing, colored sugar, and child's finishing touch will do.....Thanks Nana for such a good recipe.....


Makes 2 dozen (depends on size of cookie cutter)

1 C Butter, softened
1 8oz Package Cream Cheese, room temp
1 C Sugar
1 Egg
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Almond Extract
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 3/4 C Flour

Mix together softened butter and cream cheese. Blend in Sugar, Egg, Salt and Extracts. Mix in flour until well combined. Wrap dough in plastic and chill the dough for at least 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. After well chilled roll dough to 1/8th inch thickness and cut into desired shapes. Bake about 7 min. Cool and decorate with your favorite icing....

Sugar Cookie Icing:

1 cup Confectioners' Sugar
3-4 tsp Milk
3 tsp Light Corn Syrup
1/4 tsp Almond Extract
Assorted Food Coloring


In a small bowl, stir together Confectioners' Sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.

Divide into separate bowls, and add food colorings to each to desired intensity. Dip cookies, or paint them with a brush or small spatula.

1 comment:

Erin said...

oh my gosh, need to make these! great idea to do with jade too!!!