Friday, May 30, 2008

Colorful Chicken Pasta Salad


I love cold salads on hot summer days for dinner. This is an adaptation from Shawn's Moms Chicken Salad. I have changed the noodles from Soba or Chinese to Whole Grain. Partly because I can not find the Chinese noodles I normally use (Not a big Chinese selection down here in TX) and partly because its a good recipe to use whole grain noodles. Shawn even likes this salad as do the kids.....but the kids prefer it with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce instead of the Sesame dressing which is fine with me since I always have Teriyaki in the fridge (good way to get my kids to eat rice and such).......Anyway you can use your favorite marinated chicken, but I would recommend Gordon's Marinade, which I have on a separate post or a Teriyaki Marinade. I like to serve this salad with the dressing on the side, it makes for easy keep if there are leftovers plus it also allows a person to put as much or as little as they want.

Serves 6-8

4-5 Marinated Grilled Chicken Breasts, sliced
1 lb Barilla Plus or Barilla Whole Grain Spaghetti Noodles
1/2 Head of Cabbage, chopped
2 Bell Peppers (Red, Orange or Yellow), quartered & sliced
1 English Cucumber, quartered & sliced
1-2 Cans Mandarin Oranges (we use 2 cause the girls LOVE them)
Grape Tomatoes, whole
4 Green Onions, chopped
Toasted Sesame Seeds or Almonds, Garnish (optional)

Dressing-(this is the doubled recipe, you can 1/2 it)
4 oz Apple Juice
8 oz Rice Wine Vinegar
4 T Sesame Oil (can reduce and add a splash of chili oil if you want some heat)
4 T Soy Sauce
2 tsp Sugar

To make the dressing mix all ingredients in a container and shake vigorously until sugar is well mixed. Cook Pasta according to package and rinse under cold water. Let Drain. Layer salad in a large Pasta Serving Bowl, start with cabbage then layer the noodles on top, then top with veggies and chicken...Basically make it pretty (although my pic above is not my best work, oh well) Like I said before I like to serve the dressing on the side (we also do green onions on the side since Shawn does not like them)....avoids putting too much on or not enough, yadah, yadah.....

No comments: