Monday, May 5, 2008

Teryaki Chicken Salad


I grew up eating this salad, it was actually served at a restaurant where I grew up.....My brother took the idea of the salad and made it at home. Yes, my brother too is a good cook, so is his wife and so is my dad. We all love trying and creating new recipes....To this day this is still one of my favorite salads. My husband actually will eat this one too....He is not too big on lettuce or salad dressings......but loves chicken and teriyaki......

Serves 4-5

4-5 Chicken Breasts
1-2 heads of Romain or Leaf Lettuce (or a combo of both)
1 lg Can of Mandarin Oranges
1/2 C Slivered Almonds, toasted
Poppyseed Dressing, to your liking (I use store bought Briannas or Kraft)

Simple Teriyaki Sauce:
2 C Water
1 1/2 C Soy Sauce
1 1/2 C Sugar
1/2 T Garlic Powder
1 tsp Ginger, chopped (I have used ginger powder, just need to reduce amount)
2 T Sherry Wine

Whisk teriyaki sauce ingredients together in a small pot, boil gently to dissolve sugar and cook out the alcohol from the Sherry. When all sugar is dissolved sauce is ready. Use it for a marinade, stir fry, or as a sauce over rice.....endless possibilities.....I store in the fridge.

Marinate chicken for at least 6 hours or overnight. Grill chicken, seasoning with salt and pepper and brushing on a little extra teriyaki sauce, about 6-8 min a side, until no longer pink inside. Rest for a few min and then slice.

To assemble the salad. Gently toss lettuce, warm chicken, almonds, mandarins and poppy seed dressing (to taste) all together in a bowl. Serve immediately. You can do 1 big salad or you can toss individual bowls (which is what I do salad bar style).....That way if there is any left it can be served again....and not be all soggy!

No comments: