Thursday, May 1, 2008

Faux Refried Beans



I can be a simple girl. Sometimes I just want a bean and cheese burrito. Probably one of my favorite simple meals....I use to make them a lot in college, you know can of refried beans, some cheese, onions and hot sauce all wrapped up in a tortilla.....Well, I decided it was high time I try to make refried beans, but once I got looking there was just too much fat in some of the recipes and some just didn't sound good.....so I decided to try something different......These are awesome probably some of the best beans I have tasted.....I had found a similar recipe but it didn't look like it have enough flavor, so I added some other ingredients and stepped it up to something my kids, husband and I would like.....Who knew I would rely on the Crock Pot so much.....its just so easy....I am not sure if I will be buying canned refried beans anymore......I may just have to make these again, some homemade guacamole and homemade salsa to serve with chips for Cinco de Mayo......So good and so easy.....and I even think my mom would like these as they are not spicy! Feel free to spice up if you like!

Serves 12

3 C Dry Pinto Beans, Rinsed
1 Lg Sweet Onion, finely chopped
1 Jalapeno, seeded & chopped
5-6 Cloves of Garlic, minced
2-3 tsp Cumin
1-2 tsp Chile Powder
2-3 tsp Salt
1 1/2-2 tsp Black Pepper
9 C Water (Plus extra if they dry out, mine did not)

Throw all ingredients into a Crock Pot (slow cooker) and cook on High for about 8 hours. Stirring occasionally and re seasoning if necessary. Once the beans have cooked, strain them, reserving the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency, I think I added back about 3/4-1 cup of the bean cooking liquid.....You can make them as dry or as wet as you would like.....Serve w/ chips or in a burrito, or as a side dish.....If you plan on keeping them in a crock pot on low after mashing, I recommend keeping some of the cooking liquid in case the dry out a little bit.

1 comment:

Kaelee said...

Made them again in a bigger crockpot and had barely any liquid and what liquid I did have I added back to the mashed beans...