Friday, May 30, 2008

Fresh Tomato Bruschetta


I love tomatoes......I mean LOVE them.....I even have a few plants in the backyard growing like weeds....I can not wait to taste the fruit from them. Anyway, I also love bread and put them together and I am in La La Land......I developed this recipe when Shawn and I were living in Boston, grilling on our tiny tiny Weber BBQ, we were pretty new at using briquetts as they were always hotter when we were done cooking.....but I can proudly say we rock with briquetts these days.....We actually use the all natural hard wood ones.....they burn hotter and last longer and we like that they are natural.....Ok, so on with the recipe.....Easy, Simple and Good.....

Serves: 6 or more

1 Loaf Rustic Bread or Baguette, sliced
1 garlic clove, peeled & halved
4-5 Roma Tomatoes, diced
2-3 T Red Onion, finely diced
5-6 Fresh Basil Leaves, Chiffonade (rolled & cut in strips)
2-3 T Red Wine Vinegar, to taste (sometimes I use more & you could use Balsamic instead)
Splash Olive Oil (I just swirl a bit around the bowl)
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Goat Cheese, optional (we love it, so we spread on before tomato)


In a bowl stir together tomatoes, onion, basil, vinegar, oil and salt & pepper, set aside. Rub Garlic on all break slices. Grill bread, turning once, until lightly toasted with grill marks. Platter up and serve with goat cheese and tomato topping....

No comments: