Sunday, August 12, 2007

Lemony Spinach Cous Cous


This is becoming a summertime favorite as it can be served hot, at room temperature or I suppose even cold....We just had this as a side dish with some grilled pork chops.....but I have been known to buy a roasted chicken from the store, shred it, and toss it in too for a complete meal....I just love how versatile cous cous is.....I get mine at Trader Joe's...love that it doesn't come with the season packets, but you could use those too....as you know I am all about being creative......

Serves 6

2 C Dry Plain Cous Cous
2 T Olive Oil
2 C Veggie Broth or Chicken Broth/Stock
1 6oz bag of Baby Spinach
2 Lemons, juiced
Olive Oil (I like using Garlic Olive Oil, or a Basil Garlic Olive Oil), poured in to taste
1/2-1 C Shredded Parmesan Cheese (We love cheese and usually add 1 cup!!)
Salt/Pepper, to taste
Green Onions, optional garnish

In Sauce Pan add the Veggie Broth and 2 T of olive oil, bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add in the dry Cous Cous, stir and cover with lid. Let set for 5 min. Then remove lid and fluff with a fork. Transfer to serving bowl and add in the olive oil of your choice, I eyeball it...couple times around the bowl, add in the lemon juice, Spinach and toss well. Then add in the Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper....garnish with green onions if you like...

No comments: