Friday, April 17, 2009

MMmmm Pumpkin Pie


I love pumpkin.....pumpkin scones, pumpkin soup, pumpkin bars....I have never met a pumpkin recipe I didn't like.....When I was little I remember my aunt use to make so many pumpkin pies for our family gatherings that each family was able to take home a leftover pie...(my mom had 9 brothers and sisters to give you an idea on how many pies she use to make).....man they were so good.....this not her recipe but one that to me tastes similar to the pies I remember from childhood.....


Makes: 2 9 inch pies

1 1/2 pints (3 cups) vanilla ice cream, softened
3 eggs
1 3/4 C pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)
3/4 C sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells (I use my homemade recipe for pie dough that I have up on the blog with my quiche recipe, but you can use store bought to save time)


Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place ice cream near the warm oven to soften. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs. Stir in the pumpkin puree, sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Mix in soft ice cream until smooth. Pour filling into two 9 inch pie shells. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees, and bake an additional 30 to 40 minutes, or until filling is set. Serve with homemade vanilla whipped cream on top....Enjoy!

No comments: