Friday, April 17, 2009

Simple Shrimp & Corn Chowder


Shawn LOVES shrimp as do our girls so we eat it a bunch in our house. This recipe Shawn and I have been eating for years and has become a household favorite. It is super simple but yet so tasty and takes no time at all to prepare and cook.....I am sure there a plenty things to add to jazz it up but we like it just the way it is....if you can find fresh sweet corn in season, cut it away from the cob and use that, it makes it that much better....I like to serve most of my soups with crusty or toasted bread......I am so not a cracker in my soup girl.....I like dip yummy bread!

Serves 4-5

3-4 Green Onions, thinly sliced
2 C Frz Sweet Corn (White or Yellow)
1 lb Shrimp, peeled & de veined
3 T Butter
4 C Chicken Stock (1 32oz carton)
1/2 C Heavy Cream
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add in green onions and cook for 3 minutes or until softened. Pour in the chicken stock and then add the corn. Stir and season with salt & pepper. Simmer uncovered for 10-12 min. Pour in the cream, stir well and then add the shrimp. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, very gently until the shrimp turn pink and begin to curl, which is usually about 5 min depending on the size of shrimp. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve hot!

No comments: